There two ways to install DataSplice on a Windows Mobile 5.x/6.x device - Cab file installation or a Manual installation. This guide will provide a walkthrough of the Cab file installation, which is the quickest and easiest method.
Connecting your device
The first step is to connect the handheld to a computer using ActiveSync (or Windows Mobile Device Center). This will create a Mobile Device entry under My Computer in Windows Explorer.
Getting the correct files
There will be either 3 or 4 .cab files needed for an installation, dependent upon the Windows Mobile operating system version on the device.
- DataSplice Remote Client, filename: RemoteClient-ARM_PPC.CAB
- Microsoft SQL Server Mobile, filename: sqlce.ppc.wce5.armv4i.cab
- Microsoft SQL Server Mobile Replication, filename: sqlce.repl.ppc.wce5.armv4i.cab
- .NET Compact Framework, filename: NETCFv35.wm.armv4i.cab (not required on Windows Mobile 6.5 and newer handhelds)
- .NET Compact Framework comes pre-installed on newer versions of Windows Mobile
The necessary cab files to install the prerequisites are grouped in folders based on the target platform. The first step is to determine the platform being used, then you will typically install all the available cab files within the target folder: